Friday, March 14, 2008

Pinewood Derby

A few weeks ago I shot the local scouts pinewood derby. THe gym actually had some nice light situations, which was a plus since the kids just seemed a little bored with having to wait so long between turns and were relatively unemotional. After shooting for a while I decided to go for a panning shot in an effort to get something a little different for this yearly event (the standard photo being image #2 here, which ran as my secondary). I liked the panning enough to offer it as my local lead photo and the paper went for it. So, that's one cheap trick I can't use again soon I guess. Overall an enjoyable assignment I'd say.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

5 comments:

Marvin Halelamien said...

I remember making those things when I was in cub scouts. I particularly like the car labeld "BEAR." Wonder what the story is on that car?

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

If I remember correctly, the car actually said "BEARS" (you can't really tell in this photo). My assumption is that it had something to do with the Chicago football team (Peoria not being all that far away). That car is what caught my eye, too, and large reason for why I settled in to make that photo.

Jeremiah Wilson said...

these are some really fun photos - sick job

Tim Hussin said...

Nice job. Looks like it would make a great multimedia piece. Are you dabbling in that at all there?

Luanne Dietz said...

Looks great! I remember begging my dad to let me make a car with my brother when he was in cub scout. Good thing my dad was the leader cause he said YES! lol. My car was always pink!

I thought the same as Tim, that it seemed neat for multimedia as I was looking at the photos. Hows Peoria sounding?