Thursday, September 13, 2007

Signs and Feats

So, I've had a few more days shooting here in STL and as a consequence I've got a few more photos to post. I got assigned to shoot a sign the other day. Sign photos usually aren't all that exciting but I tried to jazz it up by waiting for dark and doing a long exposure on a tri-pod, which made it slightly more interesting, I guess. The signs a little funny, anyway. I also ended up shooting a feature today. I was sent on a portrait assignment that didn't come together so I decided to continue my hunt for a photo outside of St. Louis City (which I had been advised to do earlier since most of the the Post-Dispatch's readers are out there anyway). I came upon some young guys playing tennis in a park and it was a beautiful day. I thought it was a grass tennis court, which I thought was cool and worth a look, but it wasn't really. I went with a wide angle and tried to get in both the sky and the lines on the court...it turned out alright. I don't know if it is going to run but I feel like I at least accomplished something by stopping and taking the time to shoot it.


6 comments:

Milla said...

i really dig the tennis shot. The shadow is pretty awesome. The colors too.

Luanne Dietz said...

Nice seeing, and even nicer getting out to take pics;) The sly looks very dramatic. I like it! Did you happen to get low on any of them? like get more sky..?!

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

Those clouds were the only ones in the sky. It's weird, since I've been here there haven't been any pretty cloud filled skies. Even on that day the clouds were creeping around right above the horizon.

Jarrett Baker said...

Glad you're having a good time so far. I remember the days of searching for features in the County, and I'm sure I know who told you about the readers. Please tell him and everyone else I say hello!

Celia Talbot Tobin said...

yay for tommy! i really like this tennis shot, it's got a wierd street-grab quality to it. it might even be more stylized than you intended, but it's nice and subtle. i hope you soak up the life of this internship, I'm so glad you got it!!

Tom McCarthy Jr. said...

Celia, I'm all about S-T-Y-L-E, style (a quote from the movie Blank Check).